Votran service interruptions during Shriners Convention
Posted On: July 5, 2017
The Shriners International 2017 Imperial Session at the Ocean Center will bring heavy traffic to Volusia County, and Votran riders should expect numerous delays, interruptions and route deviations. Schedule delays may occur from July 8 to 14. Detours are subject to change without notice. All riders, including Votran Gold riders, who need to travel to the beachside will experience longer than normal trips.
“It’s a great opportunity for Daytona Beach to be the host city for an international event that is so popular,” said Steve Sherrer, Votran general manager. “Buses will be rerouted to secondary roads when traffic becomes congested. Votran will be doing the best we can to maintain timely service for our customers, but we are sure that congestion related to the events will cause challenges for service to beachside destinations. Customers are encouraged to sign up for automatic alerts by visiting www.votran.org and clicking the map image for MyStop Live Bus Tracker.”
From July 9 to 13, Votran vehicles will not use the Intermodal Transit Facility at the Ocean Center. Route deviations include:
- Routes 1, 18 and 19 will make service stops on State Road A1A.
- Route 8 will make service stops on Halifax Avenue.
- Route 18 inbound, from State Road A1A, will use Seabreeze Boulevard to Mason Avenue and U.S. 1 to the Votran Transfer Plaza.
Night and Sunday service will operate from the Transfer Plaza July 9 to 13. Route deviations include:
- Route 1 will use International Speedway Boulevard to State Road A1A.
- Routes 3, 4 and 10 will use Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Boulevard, Beach Street and Michigan Street to Fairview Avenue outbound and inbound.
- Route 17 will use International Speedway Boulevard to State Road A1A. The route will end at Raymond Avenue and South Atlantic. There will be no service on the Dunlawton Bridge.
On Tuesday, July 11, the Shriners Parade will interrupt service starting at 3 p.m. on State Road A1A from Sun Splash Park to the Ocean Center. Heavy congestion is expected along the route in the neighboring parking areas. Due to parade staging activity and road closures, Votran will not be able to serve any bus stops on State Road A1A between Silver Beach Avenue and Seabreeze Boulevard. Beginning at 3 p.m.:
- Routes 1, 18 and 19 and the Route 1N night service will use North Peninsula Drive, northbound via Seabreeze Boulevard and southbound via Oakridge Boulevard.
- Routes 17A, 17B and 17N night service will use South Peninsula Drive northbound and southbound from Silver Beach Avenue.
Votran riders are encouraged to plan trips in advance. Riders may learn more by visiting votran.org. The website provides up-to-date alerts and real-time bus tracking. It also offers downloadable information for the myStop mobile app for real-time bus information anywhere.